The Fillorean Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A website for the SWTOR roleplaying guild: The Fillorean Society

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Memory Speed Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ixidor Asgrod
Ixidor Asgrod

Memory Speed Question Empty
PostSubject: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:44 am

So i've been teaching myself about computer parts so that I could one day build my own PC, but I'm probably going to try to work for enough cash to buy one. The cause of this is that I've begun realizing the laptop I game with sucks, having one of the worst gaming cards possible (ATI Radeon x1200, the computer was a christmas gift from the parents).

My question is: what is the major benefit to buying faster memory speed?

More specifically is it worth paying a little more for say DDR3/1800 MHz over DDR3/1600MHz or DDR3/1333MHz?

Last edited by Ixidor Asgrod on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:49 am

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
So i've been teaching myself about computer parts so that I could one day build my own PC, but I'm probably going to try to work for enough cash to buy one. The cause of this is that I've begun realizing the laptop I game with sucks, having one of the worst gaming cards possible (ATI Radeon x1200).

My question is: what is the major benefit to buying faster memory speed?

More specifically is it worth buying say DDR3/1800 MHz over DDR3/1600MHz or DDR3/1333MHz?
Considering my limited knowledge in computers, I would say the higher the better. Also, might I suggest you buy an already built computer. A few months ago, I came to the unfortunate conclusion"losing all my HD" custom built computers may be good but dont last for long while all built has insurance and last longer.
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod
Ixidor Asgrod

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:54 am

Lena Jade wrote:
Also, might I suggest you buy an already built computer.

That was my plan for now, essentially I would use a website LIKE alienware (they are overpriced) to customize a computer to my specific wants. So I'm currently shopping around and getting to understand various parts so I know what I'm ordering or what I want (even though I don't have the money, and won't for a while).

*Also I think Alienware only uses ATI and I'm looking for Nvidia.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:56 am

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Also, might I suggest you buy an already built computer.

That was my plan for now, essentially I would use a website LIKE alienware (they are overpriced) to customize a computer to my specific wants. So I'm currently shopping around and getting to understand various parts so I know what I'm ordering or what I want (even though I don't have the money, and won't for a while).
Also, and that is fact, dont buy top of the line, buy one step under. Most fo the top of the line are bug infested and prone to problems.
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod
Ixidor Asgrod

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Lena Jade wrote:
Also, and that is fact, dont buy top of the line, buy one step under. Most fo the top of the line are bug infested and prone to problems.

Well here is my sort of plan:

Motherboard: GigaByte GA-P55A-UD3 Intel P55 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 760 Processor (4x 2.80GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

Memory: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/2000MHz Dual Channel Memory Module
*I'm tempted to do 8, as sort of a "future-proof" thing, but I know I won't really need 8 gigs.

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB 16X PCIe
*I kind of want to go SLI dual cards, but that is pretty expensive

HDD: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM
Then I have all the various fixings (800 watt power supply, fans, etc).
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Be careful with your 1 Tbyte Sata II drive, I had the exact same thing and it died on me twice in less then a year even after I sent it back to the company. The rest seems fine to me.
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod
Ixidor Asgrod

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:25 pm

Lena Jade wrote:
Be careful with your 1 Tbyte Sata II drive, I had the exact same thing and it died on me twice in less then a year even after I sent it back to the company. The rest seems fine to me.

Hmm, I'll take that into consideration. Do you know what the specific problem was?

It's a pretty cheap switch to something else. I could go to Sata III for like $35, or downgrade to a Sata II with less space if that would be better (it would end up saving me like $18).
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

Hmm, I'll take that into consideration. Do you know what the specific problem was?

It's a pretty cheap switch to something else. I could go to Sata III for like $35, or downgrade to a Sata II with less space if that would be better.
I'll try to explain as best as I can, this may make sense to someone. The first time, my hard drive read disk wouldnt start, so in other word, the hardrive would not run at all. Sent to the company, free of charge, and they restarted it. 3 months later, I had issue with my computer, sent the hardrive again, company stated they could see what was on my drive but the first disk was damaged or something like that and they couldnt retrieve my information under normal means unless I pay over 1800$ to retrieve my information and they would send a new hard drive. At that point, I gave up, sold my computer in pieces and bought a brand new one.
Back to top Go down
Jagger Cyde
Jagger Cyde

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 4:09 pm

I'll be asking the same questions in a few months, I'm saving up to build one so I will pay CLOSE attention to this thread Smile
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Cyberpower or iBuypower is your best bet.

If you plan on building it yourself, go to Newegg.

Now, Laptops are pretty difficult if not impossible to upgrade in some cases.
Your best bet would be getting a desktop since you can get more bang for your buck.
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod
Ixidor Asgrod

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Mon Pandamari wrote:

Your best bet would be getting a desktop since you can get more bang for your buck.

I spent all day on the internet building custom computers and comparing the prices, only for you to pick the same results Very Happy

Actually I tried Centaurus and it wasn't bad, slightly more expensive than CyberPower or iBuypower.

I pretty much plan on buying a PC, building one is something I can do later in life, inbetween getting married and having kids, or after that.
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
Mon Pandamari wrote:

I spent all day on the internet building custom computers and comparing the prices, only for you to pick the same results Very Happy

Actually I tried Centaurus and it wasn't bad, slightly more expensive than CyberPower or iBuypower.

I pretty much plan on buying a PC, building one is something I can do later in life, inbetween getting married and having kids, or after that.
Lol...
You could of just asked before all that research. Laughing

Or....Force your kids to build it.
Tempting no?
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod
Ixidor Asgrod

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Mon Pandamari wrote:

Tempting no?

I could have them build a computer for this:
Quote :

256 logical-core 1THz CPU.
16x GTX 295 GPUs or equivalent ATI GPUs.
192GB RAM
9TB of space [deliberately uncompressed audio]
An 80" TV and 7.1 THX soundsystem
A 4GBps internet connection
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
Mon Pandamari wrote:

Tempting no?

I could have them build a computer for this:
Quote :

256 logical-core 1THz CPU.
16x GTX 295 GPUs or equivalent ATI GPUs.
192GB RAM
9TB of space [deliberately uncompressed audio]
An 80" TV and 7.1 THX soundsystem
A 4GBps internet connection

Sure..... you could do that.....
If you wanted them to end up gay.

This is a Real Man's PC.
Memory Speed Question Hal9000
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:40 pm

On a side note, this PC case looks soooooo awesome.
Memory Speed Question Cool-computer-case-10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Memory Speed Question   Memory Speed Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Memory Speed Question
Page 1 of 1