A website for the SWTOR roleplaying guild: The Fillorean Society

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Jerry-Rigged

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Jerry-Rigged   Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:25 pm

The republic captain and his Lieutenant were the only men about the patrol ship this evening. The ship itself normally crewed six, but most of the soldiers had been sent away from the relatively peaceful planet to the sites of greater conflict. This evening they had been rousted for an unusual reason.

According to their traffic control system, a shuttle had entered a terminal orbit above Alderaan and was not responding to hails over all frequencies. If there was no one aboard to land the ship a high speed crash in the wrong place could lead to a significant loss of life. The two men had been ordered to identify the vessel, rouse the inhabitants if there were any, and destroy it if there were none.

They had had the shuttle on systems for quite some time, but when it finally came into focus from the cockpit view, the pilots were not at all prepared for what they saw.

The ship itself was definitely not occupied, because the pilot himself was floating near one of the wings, apparently arguing with his repair droid. The strangeness of the situation was further compounded as the republic pilots flew closer and noted that the vacuum suit the stranger was wearing appeared to have been homemade.

The vacuum of space absorbed all sound, so the stranger did not notice the patrol ship until they were fairly close. Upon seeing the new vessel, he began waving angrily, as if to say, "Leave me alone!"

The soldiers couldn't simply leave, as the dilapidated vessel before them still constituted on obvious threat to the people on the planet below. Among other things, it seemed as if the strange pilot was trying to tie one of the landing boosters back to the ship's frame with some kind of cord. Two compartments were definitely open to vacuum, including the privy; and in a fit of frustration the pilot himself had just pulled his blaster and ended the argument with the droid.

The soldiers looked at each other, knowing there was little they can do at this point, and finally the captain stopped and said, "Let's wait and see what happens."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jerry-Rigged   Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:41 pm

It was hot in the cockpit and the republic pilots were now taking turns observing the stranger as his craft drifted closer to the planet's atmosphere.

The lieutenant stepped back into the cockpit to relieve the captain, asking, "can we just blast him yet?" Only half jokingly.

The captain rolled his eyes and said, "Let's hold off, I think he might actually be onto something."

The strange pilot had entered and exited his own craft several times over the past hours, emerging with a variety of tool and item. In that time he had stripped the heat shielding from the wings of his craft. Now he had reemerged carrying what looked to be four republic army standard issue survival tents.

The tents themselves were large, intended for four soldiers each, and the canvas was thick and resilient, ideal for guerilla warfare. And in this case, the man had sewn them together into one very large tarp.

He lay the tents flat over the top of his ship, and then used several lengths of carbon weave cord to affix them to four points around his ship. He then covered the tents with the heat shield from his ship's wings, and tape the shielding down with standard survival tape.

"Son of a bitch."

The Lieutenant jumped when he heard the captain's voice over his shoulder. "It's a parachute, he doesnt even plan on landing, he's just gonna let himself fall out of the sky."

"Wont the atmosphere destroy the tents?"

"Normally yes, but that's why he's affixing the heat shield with tape and the parachute with cord. The heat shield will burn off when he breaks the atmosphere, but the parachute will come out only after the shield falls away. You're watching a lesson in the history of space flight."

They lapsed back into silence. It was clear that even with the innovative design the strange pilot was taking a great risk to salvage his damaged ship. At this point, though, it was clear the captain would take a chance on a crash just to meet the unusual indivdual.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jerry-Rigged   Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:54 am

Several republic light infrantry had been dispatched to investigate the crash site. They had no issue identifying it, as there was a great deal of smoke rising from the forest near where the the ship had come down. It had been an unusual sight for the men on the ground, see the vessel parachute down from the sky nose first, the canopy that held it aloft smoldering in multiple places.

Many thought the pilot might survive, but his failure to appear at the nearby base and the amount of smoke pouring out of the woods indicated otherwise.

The soldiers, however, were in for a surprise.

The fire itself was not actually coming from the ship, which had come to rest leaning precariously between two trees. It was actually being generated by a forge. The forge had been scrapped together from pieces of the ship's hull and was being fed with wood doused in starship fuel.

It was also producing a copious amount of smoke, the result of the bark being burnt.

And bent over the forge was a grizzled, shirtless man, swearing and hammering away at molten metal.

The man stopped and squinted at the soldiers the the haze of smoke that surrounded his downed craft, then waved them over.

"Gentlmen," he said, "I could use some extra muscle."

Last edited by Arathis on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jerry-Rigged   Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:58 pm

The Watch commander at the local outpost received a short message that evening from the patrol. Simply, "Dont expect us back tonight, will see you tomorrow."

An attempt at a response was received only by static, and the commander retired for the evening, assuming simply that the patrol had gotten lost and were having trouble finding their way back.

When the commander returned to his post the next morning he found several of his staff away from their usual positions, hovering over the long-distance ground scanner readout.

The scanner had picked up a vehicle of a size and shape that did not match any manufacturer or model in the computer's database. Additionally, it seemed as if a small number of wildfires had started in the wake of the passing vehicle...smoke was visible in that direction on the horizon.

When the mystery vehicle finally came into view it was a bizarre sight. It looked like a steel-age boat rolling towards them on homemade wheels. Two republic soldiers were perched toward the back of the ship, montiring jerry-rigged hover jets that were instead being used to propel the thing. The wheels were four tubular escape pods that had been welded together and affixed to the base of the ship.

The remaining soldiers walked along side, each holding a long wooden pole, which they used to steer the boat around obstacles. And on top of the contraption was a grizzled man dressed in a home-made vacuum suit, swearing at the soldiers and shouting directions from above.

The heap rolled to stop at the gate of the complex and the patrol seargent ran around to the front to enter his access codes and open the doors. The soldiers pushed the vehicle into the central parade grounds and stopped; as a gaggle of local onlookers gathered around the bizarre vehicle. The apparent pilot hopped down, grumbling under his breath, and was promptly arrested by the local MPs for an unauthorized landing.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: Jerry-Rigged   Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Sounds more like an extremely skilled engineer than anything.. Very Happy

Great story... can't wait to ream more.

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
Sergei Meranov
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jerry-Rigged   Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:57 am

Two things:

1. I laughed when I was imagining this contraption hurtling through the forest and so forth.

2. I made a character in EVE that was loosely inspired by your depiction of Arathis, so thanks for the inspiration.

Very good work.

"We're not bangin' rocks together here, we know how to run a guild."
Back to top Go down
http://filloreansociety.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Jerry-Rigged   Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:05 pm

A uniformed captain entered the holding room to discover the power field disabled and his prisoner sitting on the floor, prying components out of the unit with a glass dagger. The glass seemed to be the remains of the prisoner's space suit visor.

The soldier wasn't sure what the man was after, but he had seen him in action in orbit, and knew this wasn't simple vandalism. He coughed to make his presence known, and the man looked up at him, stood up, and abandoned his project on the floor.

"I saw you working on the ship in orbit. And I've had a chance to give your ship a going over while you've been in here." The prisoner twitched at the mention of someone else in his bird.

"I guess I should correct myself," the captain went on. "That's no just one ship. My men have located large pieces and compartments from 6 different manufacturers. And while we're at it, what are you doing with three different hyperdrives?"

The man snarled, "None of you're f***icg business. As far as I see it I owe you a fine for improper landing and nothing else. I'll pay up, and you can let me go now, or you can leave me in here and I'll find a way out."

The captain frowned, "You probably would..." he trailed off. Gears were turning in his head. he looked up suddenly, "The power field--What were you planning on doing with it? Show me how you planned on leaving."

"And what for? I'm not doing myself any favors by showing you how I disabled your power field. You can go eat shit."

"Do this and I'll forget about the moon dust you strapped to the droid you left in orbit. I might blow off the fine too. Seems to me we could use someone with a knack for breaking down a power field."

The wiry man considered this for a moment, then stuck out his hand. "It's Arathis. And I think we can work something out. But if your taking the dust we're gonna have to talk to the Hutts."

"Show me you're worth it first."
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: Jerry-Rigged   Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Agian great post...

One thing tho:

Curse words like "fuck," "shit," and "bitch" are not in the Star Wars universe. They do use hell, damn, and ass.

Karking = Fucking
Shutta = Bitch
hutt spawn / bantha fodder = shit
Kriffing = fucking/shitting

There are a lot of other curse words out there in the SW universe... but I can't think of them atm. There are lots of variations of the ones I mentioned as well... but they are the ones I've read most in the EU.

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
Valkus
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jerry-Rigged   Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:38 pm

Me like Twisted Evil

Nicely done.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jerry-Rigged   Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:04 am

Interesting, did not know that about curses, will do for the future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jerry-Rigged   

Back to top Go down

Jerry-Rigged
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1