A website for the SWTOR roleplaying guild: The Fillorean Society

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Madness Begins: Megaupload closed by police, founder charged with piracy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Malcolm

PostSubject: Madness Begins: Megaupload closed by police, founder charged with piracy   Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:36 am

Megaupload file-sharing site has been shut down by law enforcement agents in the United States.

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/technology/indictment-charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html?_r=1

Quote :
Indictment Charges Megaupload Site With Piracy
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: January 19, 2012

McLEAN, Va. — Federal prosecutors in Virginia say they have shut down one of the world’s largest Internet file-sharing sites, Megaupload.com, and charged its founder and others with violating piracy laws.

An indictment accuses the company of costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content. The indictment was unsealed Thursday, one day after Web sites shut down in protest of two Congressional proposals intended to thwart the online piracy of copyrighted movies and TV programs.

Megaupload.com has claimed it is diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.

The indictment says that at one point, Megaupload was the 13th most popular Web site in the world.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Madness Begins: Megaupload closed by police, founder charged with piracy   Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 am

You guys probably already knew, but Anon and 4chan attacted the page of the Deparment of Justice and several others with DDoS.

Hakcers vs Hackers.
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: Madness Begins: Megaupload closed by police, founder charged with piracy   Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:24 am

The U.S.A. is seemingly becoming more and more tyrannical. WE NEED REVOLUTION!!!

"What can change the nature of a man?"
Back to top Go down
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Madness Begins: Megaupload closed by police, founder charged with piracy   Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:52 am

The Laughing Man wrote:
The U.S.A. is seemingly becoming more and more tyrannical. WE NEED REVOLUTION!!!

Shall we begin?
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod

PostSubject: Re: Madness Begins: Megaupload closed by police, founder charged with piracy   Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:55 pm

The Laughing Man wrote:

It's mostly that the Justice system has allowed Copyright protection to mutate from something done to protect art and ensure that there is a monetary reason to continue creating it, into a system for patent holders to make money off anyone and everyone using their vastly superior legal team.

Don't get in the way of money.
Back to top Go down
TitanT2

PostSubject: Re: Madness Begins: Megaupload closed by police, founder charged with piracy   Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
The Laughing Man wrote:

It's mostly that the Justice system has allowed Copyright protection to mutate from something done to protect art and ensure that there is a monetary reason to continue creating it, into a system for patent holders to make money off anyone and everyone using their vastly superior legal team.

Pff... SOPA/PIPA isn't going to pass...
The entertainment industry has bribed enough people in your senate to sway over to their side. But eventually it won't work.

The internet is worth crap with SOPA and PIPA and it will die out. We will just have to "share" illegal copies amongst ourselves. No problem. It will be like the good old days with the mixtapes and stuff. :p

If those idiots in the entertainment industry (the bigwigs) would just update their bussiness model they won't have the problem of piracy. Nobody really wants to spend 50/60 euro's on a new game. I don't want to buy a CD for 20 euro's because there are 5/10 songs i like on it. Nobody wants to buy a movie for 20 euro's. 2 hours of fun and then that money is down the shitter. And first you have to waver through tons of advertisements of other movies and stuff.

Now i would be willing to pay for a 8 hour game 20 euro's (I like Assassins Creed and Arkham Asylum but it is just 1 liniear story. After you've played it you are done with it). That is what it is worth. For a longer game like Skyrim i have no problem to lay down the full price of 50. For a game like COD, i am willing to pay 30 euro's that extra 10 for the server maintanance for the multiplayer.

I don't want to pay 1/2 euro per song on itunes. 30 cents per song is better. And the retail album should cost in between the 5/10 euro's. Which is for the hardcore fans.

I am willing to put down 10 euro a month for a subscription where i can watch any and all movies i want at any time. Sure. Or on top of that pay a 1 to 3 euro fee per movie. Which will go directly to the creators of the movie not to the company that released it.

The entertainment industry can't accept that people don't have as much money to spend then they used to. They still ask prices which are unreasonable compared to the product given. I only buy games i enjoy and find it worth my money. Just Cause 2, Arkham City, Skyrim. And i pirate others, if i find them worth it i buy them. If i don't i am barely playing them. Or i play them through and wait untill the price is lowered to something reasonable.

For example saints row, fun game but it is not worth full price. Because it is not that interresting. Free roaming sucks in that game and the novelty of slapping someone in the face with a giant pink dildo get's boring somewhat.

I pirate a lot, i'll admit. It is because i don't have the funds to obtain it legally. Or i do have it but it is not worth the asked price.

But SOPA/PIPA is more than that. It will be the end of very creative people. I mean smalltime content producers like Redlettermedia, Escapistmagazine, HISHE and stuff. Will be censored because they talk or parody copyrighted material. But also creative fans of a movie,game or artist will be censored. Who just want to film, draw and play music in homage to the artists/creators of certain content.

Anyways, i wish you guys good luck with your fight against censorship of the internet. We have to fight Brein here.
Back to top Go down
Valkus
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Madness Begins: Megaupload closed by police, founder charged with piracy   Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
The Laughing Man wrote:

Everything is and will always be about the dollar, which is still loosing value, greed is was causes War and what caused the economy to crash.

Back to top Go down
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: Madness Begins: Megaupload closed by police, founder charged with piracy   Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:58 pm

All who support the CEOs of music companies say yay for SOPA/PIPA!

>.>
<.<

Tough crowd...

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
A-Train

PostSubject: Re: Madness Begins: Megaupload closed by police, founder charged with piracy   Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:25 am

Interesting.

*is too stupid to pirate things because she messes up halfway through*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Madness Begins: Megaupload closed by police, founder charged with piracy   

Back to top Go down

Madness Begins: Megaupload closed by police, founder charged with piracy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1