A website for the SWTOR roleplaying guild: The Fillorean Society

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

So anyone got any phobias?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: So anyone got any phobias?   Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:28 pm

So anyone got any phobias? Be it a minor, moderate, or major phobia?

I have a minor to moderate phobia of flying insects. I hate how they look, I hate how they feel, I hate how they sound etc. I'm fine when it comes to any insect that doesn't fly, and I'm even (somewhat) ok around smaller flying insects (i.e. flies). The flying insect I hate the most are cicadas; the only flying insect that makes me tear up when it's around. How did this phobia start? I was stung on my chest by a rather large wasp when I was 6-8 years old, when I was swimming in a pool.

For those who don't know:

A cicada.

"What can change the nature of a man?"
Back to top Go down
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:44 pm

I have an extreme phobia of girls with martial arts training and/or big brothers.
Problem, Officer?
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:45 pm

Malcolm Malorne wrote:
I have an extreme phobia of girls with martial arts training and/or big brothers.
Problem, Officer?

Problem, Officer?

Back to top Go down
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:23 am

The Laughing Man wrote:
So anyone got any phobias? Be it a minor, moderate, or major phobia?

I have a minor to moderate phobia of flying insects. I hate how they look, I hate how they feel, I hate how they sound etc. I'm fine when it comes to any insect that doesn't fly, and I'm even (somewhat) ok around smaller flying insects (i.e. flies). The flying insect I hate the most are cicadas; the only flying insect that makes me tear up when it's around. How did this phobia start? I was stung on my chest by a rather large wasp when I was 6-8 years old, when I was swimming in a pool.

For those who don't know:

A cicada.

I like cicadas... I remember watching one morph on a tree in NC when I was really young.

As for phobias... I actually have a phobia of dead silence... that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head... maybe clowns and dolls too a little.

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
Vigo Surai

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:31 pm

As with Scott...I have a very minor phobia of outright dead silence.

I think it's attributed to the fact that I live right in the middle of the woods, basically. Whenever it's *completely* silent, that means something's making everything hide.

I need at least a tiny bit of white noise.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Vigo Surai wrote:
As with Scott...I have a very minor phobia of outright dead silence.

I think it's attributed to the fact that I live right in the middle of the woods, basically. Whenever it's *completely* silent, that means something's making everything hide.

I need at least a tiny bit of white noise.
You live in the middle of the woods?
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Some weird phobias out there.

There brain is such a stupid organ.

Back to top Go down
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:58 pm

The Laughing Man wrote:

Yet at the same thing that keeps us from making a home in the mud and yelling like less than proper apes... well... most of us.

Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
The Laughing Man wrote:

Yet at the same thing that keeps us from making a home in the mud and yelling like less than proper apes... well... most of us.

But imagine how much more...easy life would be without a brain.

Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 pm

I don't have a proper phobia per say, but I do have an aversion to heights. It used to keep me from going on rollercoasters but not anymore. Still can't help having visions of death and destruction on high up buildings or metal structures. The worst concept for me is stuff like that glass viewing area in the Grand Canyon, or on the CN Tower where they replace part of the floor with glass.

Also, I'm not a fan of Preying Mantis faces. They creep me out (it's how the pupil's move, it's like a tv screen). Granted I like insects in general so I don't have a problem with them.

Back to top Go down
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
I don't have a proper phobia per say, but I do have an aversion to heights. It used to keep me from going on rollercoasters but not anymore. Still can't help having visions of death and destruction on high up buildings or metal structures. The worst concept for me is stuff like that glass viewing area in the Grand Canyon, or on the CN Tower where they replace part of the floor with glass.

Also, I'm not a fan of Preying Mantis faces. They creep me out (it's how the pupil's move, it's like a tv screen). Granted I like insects in general so I don't have a problem with them.

Those eyes......... they are looking into my soul.......
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:20 pm

I'm also afraid I'm going to get some bad illness--be it physical or mental--and I'm also afraid of losing control. Though...I have a minor to moderate (at the worst) anxiety disorder; I'm a high strung (hyper) person.

Back to top Go down
Vigo Surai

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:28 pm

The Laughing Man wrote:
I'm also afraid I'm going to get some bad illness--be it physical or mental--and I'm also afraid of losing control. Though...I have a minor to moderate (at the worst) anxiety disorder; I'm a high strung (hyper) person.

Deep down everyone's like that, I feel.
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Vigo Surai wrote:
The Laughing Man wrote:

Pretty much. But some people handle it better than others.

I'm more afraid of the losing control portion. For instance: I may have a thought about pushing my mother down a flight of stairs, and become quite fearful (and distressed) that I'll act on it; even though I never would, because it's completely out of my character. Then, I may begin to think I'm a bad person for having such thoughts and that I'm crazy; though crazy people don't know they're crazy (lolz). They're called intrusive thoughts, the 3 types violent (mine), sexual, or blasphemous (if you're religious) in nature.

Nearly everyone has violent thoughts on a daily basis, but people with anxiety disorders--like myself--dwell on them longer.

Back to top Go down
Vigo Surai

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:48 pm

Bah. Such thoughts are a hallmark of being human. We're just animals that learned to make our barking more rhythmic and usually less annoying, and that animalistic side crops up from time to time.

Only when you act on these intrusive thoughts can they bring you harm. Just repeat that, and get a stick to smack that inner-animal 'til it's nice and docile.
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:52 pm

Vigo Surai wrote:
Bah. Such thoughts are a hallmark of being human. We're just animals that learned to make our barking more rhythmic and usually less annoying, and that animalistic side crops up from time to time.

Only when you act on these intrusive thoughts can they bring you harm. Just repeat that, and get a stick to smack that inner-animal 'til it's nice and docile.

Yeah. Violent intrusive thoughts are much more common than sexual or blasphemous, because, long ago--Humans were quite violent (all the time); they had to be in order to survive. (Kinda-sorta programmed to be violent). I think the worst part is violent intrusive thoughts usually involve people you care for (i.e. my mother), having them about strangers is quite rare. It's weird...most of the thoughts are about my mother; not my father, not my friends etc.

I spend the most time around my mother than anyone else I care for though, may be the reason.

Last edited by The Laughing Man on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:56 pm

Don't get mad... punch a dick I say.

GET HIM!

Back to top Go down
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:59 pm

The Laughing Man wrote:
Vigo Surai wrote:
The Laughing Man wrote:

I'm more afraid of the losing control portion. For instance: I may have a thought about pushing my mother down a flight of stairs, and become quite fearful (and distressed) that I'll act on it; even though I never would, because it's completely out of my character. Then, I may begin to think I'm a bad person for having such thoughts and that I'm crazy; though crazy people don't know they're crazy (lolz). They're called intrusive thoughts, the 3 types violent (mine), sexual, or blasphemous (if you're religious) in nature.

Nearly everyone has violent thoughts on a daily basis, but people with anxiety disorders--like myself--dwell on them longer.
It has happened to me too.
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:00 am

Malcolm Malorne wrote:
The Laughing Man wrote:
Vigo Surai wrote:

Doesn't surprise me, because it's really common.

Back to top Go down
Vigo Surai

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:26 am

The Laughing Man wrote:
Vigo Surai wrote:

Yeah. Violent intrusive thoughts are much more common than sexual or blasphemous, because, long ago--Humans were quite violent (all the time); they had to be in order to survive. (Kinda-sorta programmed to be violent). I think the worst part is violent intrusive thoughts usually involve people you care for (i.e. my mother), having them about strangers is quite rare. It's weird...most of the thoughts are about my mother; not my father, not my friends etc.

I spend the most time around my mother than anyone else I care for though, may be the reason.

I zee, I zee. So zen...Tell me more about ze relationzhip vith her.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:29 am

The Laughing Man wrote:
Malcolm Malorne wrote:
The Laughing Man wrote:

Doesn't surprise me, because it's really common.
However, I don't want to push people through stairs, I want things to burn............I want everything to burn.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:38 am

Vigo Surai wrote:
The Laughing Man wrote:
Vigo Surai wrote:

Dirty... dirty blow fish...

Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:06 am

Vigo Surai wrote:

You know, it's amazing what kind of theories you cam come up with when your sample size is exclusively raped and battered women.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So anyone got any phobias?   

Back to top Go down

So anyone got any phobias?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1