A website for the SWTOR roleplaying guild: The Fillorean Society
 
HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scott Chain
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 7510
Join date : 2009-12-01
Age : 28
Location : outside Turry's window

PostSubject: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:25 pm

So... a couple years ago I spoke to this guy from NASA at a geology expo in Oklahoma. (OU in Norman is a big recruiting location for NASA in the geological and environmental science fields.) While we were talking I told him about my buddy that just started working for NASA and asked him what it takes to get recognized by them. He gave me the general low down... good grades... academic achievement... post graduate work and experience.. blah blah blah. He said they were always gathering resumes and such for some upcoming large projects (the way he described them it sounded like getting to work on the 2020 mission to mars they had planned.

Anywho... yesterday I received a phone call from a gal in the UK asking about my resume and a pool of candidates for the Mars One project. Now.. since Obama's grotesque cutting of the NASA budget... we've all known that the future of space exploration would be held in the private sector. It appears that Mars will soon become a reality (and I mean that in more than one sense of the word oddly enough). Now I've heard random things about the Mars One project before... didn't really pay it much attention. But somehow I think my resume went from a random on file stash at NASA never to see the light of day... or... even the light of a store room or digital drive... to in the hands of these people. I was asked if they could add my name to a list of about 5,000 people they already have in preparations for the upcoming selections.

Now needless to say I thought this was a scam at first. That or maybe I'd lucked out and some sort of private organization wanted to train in a fresh Geology graduate. But this is actually becoming a reality. Now as impressive as 1 in 5,000 people worldwide is for being one of the first people on Mars... good news... after looking up what all the hoopla was about everyone older than 18 years of age can apply! The applications aren't out yet... but they will be soon. But it's a really interesting prospect and I encourage all of you to read about it (or if you've got the balls apply too)!

http://mars-one.com/en/

~Scott

_________________

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 1488
Join date : 2010-06-17
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Scott, the lag on the swtor servers from Mars is going to be ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 7510
Join date : 2009-12-01
Age : 28
Location : outside Turry's window

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
Scott, the lag on the swtor servers from Mars is going to be ridiculous.

Only about 20 minutes... I mean... it's not like it's an EA serv- oh wai...

_________________

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 4443
Join date : 2010-03-18
Age : 26
Location : Exploring the island of Dressrosa.

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:54 pm

I've already claimed Mars as my own. So you guys are about...10 years too late.

_________________


"What can change the nature of a man?"
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 7510
Join date : 2009-12-01
Age : 28
Location : outside Turry's window

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm

The Laughing Man wrote:
I've already claimed Mars as my own. So you guys are about...10 years too late.

I'm a pirate... ARRRRRRRRRRRRR... pirat

_________________

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 1488
Join date : 2010-06-17
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
Scott, the lag on the swtor servers from Mars is going to be ridiculous.

Only about 20 minutes... I mean... it's not like it's an EA serv- oh wai...

By the way, did you ever get the chance to murder your friend for his computer and play swtor?
Back to top Go down
Vigo Surai
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 1824
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 25
Location : I'M IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:47 pm

When you go to mars...Ignore the southern pole.

That's where you'll find the bodies of the Old Civilization.

I'm trying to revitalize the "selling mummies for firewood" business and shan't tolerate you lot mucking it up.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 7510
Join date : 2009-12-01
Age : 28
Location : outside Turry's window

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:
Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
Scott, the lag on the swtor servers from Mars is going to be ridiculous.

Only about 20 minutes... I mean... it's not like it's an EA serv- oh wai...

By the way, did you ever get the chance to murder your friend for his computer and play swtor?

Brother... and no... he's a computer Nazi... perhaps I shouldn't have gotten him Farcry 3 for xmas. BUT! I was talking to an old co-worker... he's selling a wiped computer for $50. All I know is that it has 2 gigs of ram and a 2.8 GHz processor... waiting for more info.

_________________

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 7510
Join date : 2009-12-01
Age : 28
Location : outside Turry's window

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 pm

Vigo Surai wrote:
When you go to mars...Ignore the southern pole.

That's where you'll find the bodies of the Old Civilization.

I'm trying to revitalize the "selling mummies for firewood" business and shan't tolerate you lot mucking it up.

But... that's where I planted the minefield... >.<

_________________

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 2538
Join date : 2010-09-13
Age : 22
Location : Closer than you think.

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Pffft, Mars is so old fashioned. I go there every weekend to hang out in Barth's resort.
Back to top Go down
Sergei Meranov
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1464
Join date : 2009-08-30
Age : 30
Location : U.S.

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:31 pm

I will be the first chief judge of Mars

_________________

"We're not bangin' rocks together here, we know how to run a guild."
Back to top Go down
http://filloreansociety.forumotion.com
Scott Chain
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 7510
Join date : 2009-12-01
Age : 28
Location : outside Turry's window

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Was hoping for a... slightly more intelligent conversation... but I think I saw the failing in that from the start. >.>

_________________

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 1488
Join date : 2010-06-17
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:35 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Was hoping for a... slightly more intelligent conversation... but I think I saw the failing in that from the start. >.>

I mean it sounds cool, but I suspect they're still decades off unless they want to go in green. I mean the basic proof of concept that you can have astronauts sit in a tight area and make it to Mars without dying or killing each other has been done. But creating a permanent habitat for people is something else. They've theorized it would be possible on the Moon by mixing moon rocks and ice into "mooncrete" but they haven't sent anyone to the moon to actually try it in a suit or anything.
Back to top Go down
Vigo Surai
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 1824
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 25
Location : I'M IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:57 pm

You'd honestly need a whole hell of alot of entertainment up there, or some incredibly mentally sturdy people.

You're gonna have incredible cases of Cabin Fever otherwise.

"OH GOD, I NEED TO GO FOR A DRIVE, GET OUT OF HERE. GET SOME FRESH AI--oh. Right. GODDAMN IT. Guess I'm gonna go and re-watch movies from the 5 year back-log of last decades hits."
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 7510
Join date : 2009-12-01
Age : 28
Location : outside Turry's window

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:44 am

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:
Was hoping for a... slightly more intelligent conversation... but I think I saw the failing in that from the start. >.>

I mean it sounds cool, but I suspect they're still decades off unless they want to go in green. I mean the basic proof of concept that you can have astronauts sit in a tight area and make it to Mars without dying or killing each other has been done. But creating a permanent habitat for people is something else. They've theorized it would be possible on the Moon by mixing moon rocks and ice into "mooncrete" but they haven't sent anyone to the moon to actually try it in a suit or anything.

Um... dude... we've had the technology to build isolated habitats since before the 80's. If you're referring to 'building' on another planet... that's not in the concept. There are mechanized construction rovers setting up a few pods before the arrival (the pods would be sent there ahead of the colonists), and the first 4 humans would bring one with them. Greenhouses are something actually easily set up and maintained in addition to the pods. From there plans for a sort of bio-dome greenhouse habitat would be rendered (this part would be in a couple decades). Keep in mind the first colonists wouldn't even get there until 2023.

_________________

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
Sergei Meranov
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1464
Join date : 2009-08-30
Age : 30
Location : U.S.

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Scott Chain wrote:

Um... dude... we've had the technology to build isolated habitats since before the 80's. If you're referring to 'building' on another planet... that's not in the concept. There are mechanized construction rovers setting up a few pods before the arrival (the pods would be sent there ahead of the colonists), and the first 4 humans would bring one with them. Greenhouses are something actually easily set up and maintained in addition to the pods. From there plans for a sort of bio-dome greenhouse habitat would be rendered (this part would be in a couple decades). Keep in mind the first colonists wouldn't even get there until 2023.

They're going to have a hard time when I try to bring domesticated cattle there for a burger.

_________________

"We're not bangin' rocks together here, we know how to run a guild."
Back to top Go down
http://filloreansociety.forumotion.com
Malcolm
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 2538
Join date : 2010-09-13
Age : 22
Location : Closer than you think.

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Sergei Meranov wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

Um... dude... we've had the technology to build isolated habitats since before the 80's. If you're referring to 'building' on another planet... that's not in the concept. There are mechanized construction rovers setting up a few pods before the arrival (the pods would be sent there ahead of the colonists), and the first 4 humans would bring one with them. Greenhouses are something actually easily set up and maintained in addition to the pods. From there plans for a sort of bio-dome greenhouse habitat would be rendered (this part would be in a couple decades). Keep in mind the first colonists wouldn't even get there until 2023.

They're going to have a hard time when I try to bring domesticated cattle there for a burger.
Maybe you could send the head first.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 7510
Join date : 2009-12-01
Age : 28
Location : outside Turry's window

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Sergei Meranov wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

Um... dude... we've had the technology to build isolated habitats since before the 80's. If you're referring to 'building' on another planet... that's not in the concept. There are mechanized construction rovers setting up a few pods before the arrival (the pods would be sent there ahead of the colonists), and the first 4 humans would bring one with them. Greenhouses are something actually easily set up and maintained in addition to the pods. From there plans for a sort of bio-dome greenhouse habitat would be rendered (this part would be in a couple decades). Keep in mind the first colonists wouldn't even get there until 2023.

They're going to have a hard time when I try to bring domesticated cattle there for a burger.

Yeah that would be the sad part... no meat. >.<

_________________

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
Kalbon Branch
Neophyte
Neophyte
avatar

Posts : 148
Join date : 2012-06-15
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:18 am

Wait.... never thought about that.... Mars or meat..... Now that is the question
Back to top Go down
Vigo Surai
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 1824
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 25
Location : I'M IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:54 am

As long as I have my caffeine. I can weather any storm as long as I have my fix.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 7510
Join date : 2009-12-01
Age : 28
Location : outside Turry's window

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:57 am

Vigo Surai wrote:
As long as I have my caffeine. I can weather any storm as long as I have my fix.

I thought you were quitting... >.<

_________________

"I'm seriously going to eat you..."
Back to top Go down
Vigo Surai
Member
Member
avatar

Posts : 1824
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 25
Location : I'M IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:12 am

Oh. I am. But if I have to give up meat I may as well slide off the wagon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!   

Back to top Go down
 
Scoot... going to Marz? You could too!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Le Scoot's new Desktop Config...

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Fillorean Society :: Community Talk :: Chatter-
Jump to: