The Fillorean Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A website for the SWTOR roleplaying guild: The Fillorean Society

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

You know what would be cool?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ixidor Asgrod
Ixidor Asgrod

You know what would be cool? Empty
PostSubject: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 8:22 am

If people still used medieval weapons for personal protection and fighting wars.

I feel like I would be comfortable carrying a large maul with me on a daily basis.
Back to top Go down
TitanT2
TitanT2

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 8:42 am

And fights would be more fair. More personal.
Let everyone stand in a field with their blunt, cutting weapon of choice and be done with it.

No collatheral damage, no dead children, no stray bullets killing bystanders.

I'd go for a shortsword, shield and a dagger personally. A shortsword is good for slashing and stabbing. It only lacks range, however it makes op for it in moveability. A large mace or hammer is slow, if the wielder misses after his first swing he is vunorable. A longsword can be used faster for slashing, however it doesn't have the mobility of a shortsword. A two handed sword is heavy, and if you miss you are just like the mace or hammer open to a quick strike.
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod
Ixidor Asgrod

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 8:57 am

TitanT2 wrote:
And fights would be more fair. More personal.
Let everyone stand in a field with their blunt, cutting weapon of choice and be done with it.

No collatheral damage, no dead children, no stray bullets killing bystanders.

I'd go for a shortsword, shield and a dagger personally. A shortsword is good for slashing and stabbing. It only lacks range, however it makes op for it in moveability. A large mace or hammer is slow, if the wielder misses after his first swing he is vunorable. A longsword can be used faster for slashing, however it doesn't have the mobility of a shortsword. A two handed sword is heavy, and if you miss you are just like the mace or hammer open to a quick strike.

Yah, I think my body frame is more comfortable with a larger weapon. I fenced for a few years when I first came to college and my being a larger individual did not help. However, I liked Epee fencing more because my size was less important than my hand-eye coordination combined with the length of my arm. It's the closest thing to actual sword fighting without having things like "right of way".

Seriously, who gives a crap if your sword touched mine before I hit you. I hit you, you've been injured. Like if you go for a slash to the top of the head in sabre, but you hit their sword beforehand, it's not you point. I feel that's sort of goofy in terms of fighting, but it makes sense since the rules are based around creating a fighting sport that is defined on skill rather than strength.
Back to top Go down
TitanT2
TitanT2

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 9:15 am

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:

Yah, I think my body frame is more comfortable with a larger weapon. I fenced for a few years when I first came to college and my being a larger individual did not help. However, I liked Epee fencing more because my size was less important than my hand-eye coordination combined with the length of my arm. It's the closest thing to actual sword fighting without having things like "right of way".

Seriously, who gives a crap if your sword touched mine before I hit you. I hit you, you've been injured. Like if you go for a slash to the top of the head in sabre, but you hit their sword beforehand, it's not you point. I feel that's sort of goofy in terms of fighting, but it makes sense since the rules are based around creating a fighting sport that is defined on skill rather than strength.

Ah fencing. Unfortunatly fencing works when you duel someone. In a larger battlefield without guns the technique is pretty useless. Fencing acquires focus on one enemies movement. Take a couple and you won't have a way to defend yourself. A shortsword with a shield would be very efficient against a man with just a sabre. Use the shield to block the sabre and get in close enough to bash the sabre to his side. So you can use the shortsword to stab him in the chest. Depends on the skill of both fighters though. The problem with a 2 handed weapon or having a single weapon is that one arm is used. The other is empty.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 1:06 pm

Agreed... as I took kendo as a kid (and I'm obsessed with them) I would totally use a katana or wakizashi. Plus bows are fun. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 1:11 pm

TitanT2 wrote:
Ixidor Asgrod wrote:

Ah fencing. Unfortunatly fencing works when you duel someone. In a larger battlefield without guns the technique is pretty useless. Fencing acquires focus on one enemies movement. Take a couple and you won't have a way to defend yourself. A shortsword with a shield would be very efficient against a man with just a sabre. Use the shield to block the sabre and get in close enough to bash the sabre to his side. So you can use the shortsword to stab him in the chest. Depends on the skill of both fighters though. The problem with a 2 handed weapon or having a single weapon is that one arm is used. The other is empty.

Eh... most average fighters would be at a disadvantage if only one of them had a shield. xD
Back to top Go down
TitanT2
TitanT2

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Scott Chain wrote:

Eh... most average fighters would be at a disadvantage if only one of them had a shield. xD

And that is why it is a great defense/weapon :p
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 2:05 pm

TitanT2 wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

And that is why it is a great defense/weapon :p

I hope there's a shield throat punch finishing move in Skyrim... my year would be made.
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod
Ixidor Asgrod

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 3:08 pm

Scott Chain wrote:

Yeah large weapons are saved for fantasy, where it fits because it's fictional. In reality the size of War Hammers were pretty small, so you could pair them with a shield, but still do enough damage to smash a dude's face in.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 3:19 pm

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

Yeah large weapons are saved for fantasy, where it fits because it's fictional. In reality the size of War Hammers were pretty small, so you could pair them with a shield, but still do enough damage to smash a dude's face in.

All you need is a couple pounds at the end of a stick to do irreparable damage.
Back to top Go down
Vigo Surai
Vigo Surai

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 5:10 pm

In this fictional neo-medieval world of ours...Will armor (whether it be leather, chain, or plate) be widely distributed?

If it is: Give me a blunt object. Crack 'em open like a walnut. Break their bones, and their ability to fight.

If it is not: Give me a blade. All you need is one nick across one's artery to win in the long run.
Back to top Go down
TitanT2
TitanT2

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 5:41 pm

Vigo Surai wrote:
In this fictional neo-medieval world of ours...Will armor (whether it be leather, chain, or plate) be widely distributed?

If it is: Give me a blunt object. Crack 'em open like a walnut. Break their bones, and their ability to fight.

If it is not: Give me a blade. All you need is one nick across one's artery to win in the long run.

Meh, give me chainmail/leather if it is in a fantasy setting.
Else... Kevlar... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
A-Train
A-Train

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 11:04 pm

I myself would probably carry a longbow and multiple daggers. My frame is too small to carry much of anything else, plus it'd be sexy to shoot people What a Face
Back to top Go down
TitanT2
TitanT2

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 2:48 am

Be aware of swords...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You know what would be cool?   You know what would be cool? Empty

Back to top Go down

You know what would be cool?
Page 1 of 1