The Fillorean Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A website for the SWTOR roleplaying guild: The Fillorean Society

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good old Pen and Paper

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

Good old Pen and Paper Empty
PostSubject: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:06 am

Anyone ever played Pen and Paper RP, wether it was starwars or not? Just curious to know if I'm the only old school Roleplayer here Smile
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:08 am

Lena Jade wrote:
Anyone ever played Pen and Paper RP, wether it was starwars or not? Just curious to know if I'm the only old school Roleplayer here Smile

Gonna say yes, but very rarely. D&D was the only thing I ever Pen & Papered, I personally prefer RPing in video games to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:12 am

Galenth Dysley wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

Gonna say yes, but very rarely. D&D was the only thing I ever Pen & Papered, I personally prefer RPing in video games to be honest.
I dont know, although it is fun to RP in video game, pen and paper allows you to do a lot more and gives you more freedom a game can never give you. I have yet to see a video game that grants me the same freedom.
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:14 am

Lena Jade wrote:
Galenth Dysley wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

I dont know, although it is fun to RP in video game, pen and paper allows you to do a lot more and gives you more freedom a game can never give you. I have yet to see a video game that grants me the same freedom.

Mortal Online. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:17 am

I have to say I dont know that one, please explain?
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:29 am

Lena Jade wrote:

Mortal Online is a sandbox styled MMORPG developed by Epic Games and Star Vault.

There are no classes in the game, players get to make their very own class. You can be a soldier, a diplomat, even a woodcutter and horse breeder if you so desire. Players also develop the goverment of the game, and get to vote on leaders of the realm.

Another cool feature about Mortal Online is a real twenty-four hour day and night cycle, and events that never happen more then once. Players can build their very own cities and towns and customize them in millions upon millions of different ways. Same applys to the weapon and armor system...

Theres alot more information on it (it's very VERY complex), however I don't wanna ramble on because it would take more then one post to do so. Razz
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:46 am

Galenth Dysley wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

Mortal Online is a sandbox styled MMORPG developed by Epic Games and Star Vault.

There are no classes in the game, players get to make their very own class. You can be a soldier, a diplomat, even a woodcutter and horse breeder if you so desire. Players also develop the goverment of the game, and get to vote on leaders of the realm.

Another cool feature about Mortal Online is a real twenty-four hour day and night cycle, and events that never happen more then once. Players can build their very own cities and towns and customize them in millions upon millions of different ways. Same applys to the weapon and armor system...

Theres alot more information on it (it's very VERY complex), however I don't wanna ramble on because it would take more then one post to do so. Razz
Can you decide to burn a house if you so wish it? How big is the map? Can you raise a family? How deep is customization in characters? If your answers is yes, extremely large maps((like daggerfall lets say)), you can raise a family and very deep customization, then it is one step closer to pen and paper, not quite but close. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:51 am

Lena Jade wrote:
Galenth Dysley wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

Can you decide to burn a house if you so wish it? How big is the map? Can you raise a family? How deep is customization in characters? If your answers is yes, extremely large maps((like daggerfall lets say)), you can raise a family and very deep customization, then it is one step closer to pen and paper, not quite but close. Very Happy

*Yes, you can burn a house down if you desire to, you'll become an outlaw however.

*When I was playing the beta for Mortal Online not to long ago I ran one way for two or so hours (real-time) and I didn't even reach one side of the map.

*Yes, you can raise a family.

*The customization in characters is very deep, in fact, you make your own race, decide their age (which effects starting stats), height etc... etc.

Also, on top of building your own towns and cities, you can also build watch towers around the world, docks, mining facilitys (for mining gold, silver etc... etc.), and even boats and bridges.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:58 am

Galenth Dysley wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Galenth Dysley wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

*Yes, you can burn a house down if you desire to, you'll become an outlaw however.

*When I was playing the beta for Mortal Online not to long ago I ran one way for two or so hours (real-time) and I didn't even reach one side of the map.

*The customization in characters is very deep, in fact, you make your own race, decide their age (which effects starting stats), height etc... etc.

Also, on top of building your own towns and cities, you can also build watch towers around the world, docks, mining facilitys (for mining gold, silver etc... etc.), and even boats and bridges.
I admit, it looks like a rather deep mmo, close to pen and paper, still a few things though but it does look promising. You beta tested the game? So I presume it is not out yet?
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:59 am

Lena Jade wrote:
Galenth Dysley wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Galenth Dysley wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

I admit, it looks like a rather deep mmo, close to pen and paper, still a few things though but it does look promising. You beta tested the game? So I presume it is not out yet?

Should be out, I believe it was released June 9th. However, I never purchased the game... not yet anyway.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 10:05 am

It does look promising, Ill give it that much, perhaps there is hope for next generation mmo's, perhaps they will eventually replace pen and paper, but to me, by the time such a game does come out, it would most likely be the end of mmo's for me. Actually, Star wars the old republic is my last mmo.

Edit: Which also means Fillorean Society is the last guild I will ever join. In a sense, I am happy. I couldnt have found a better guild I think. Wink
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 10:40 am

Back on topic though, here is the extensive list of Pen and Paper I played in the last 17 years.

Dungeon and Dragon Advanced Edition
Dungeon and Dragon Second Edition
Dungeon and Dragon Third Edition

Vampire the Masquerade
Vampire the Requiem

World of Palladium

Role Master

Gurps

Star Wars the Role playing game
Star Wars d20

D20 Modern
D20 Past
D20 Future
D20 Post Apocalypse

Mechwarrior

And 4 Custom made system I created myself called

Nexus, the role playing game
The World of MIST
Cyberpunk, Street Wars
Dark Star, A space Campaign.

Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 1:13 pm

Vigo Surai wrote:
Sadly, I have never Pen and Paper RP'd.

But in my eyes, I've been a roleplayer as long as I've written stories of the games I played. So technically that gives me a few years "experience."

In game RP still counts in my eyes. RP is RP no matter where it is done or in which form. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Vigo Surai wrote:
hehe...I've never Ingame RP'd before, either. As a matter of fact, I never planned to actively roleplay until I met Tellen in Tor's off topic forums.

This'll be a first. Wink

The only thign close to it is literally, just writing little stories on forums when me and friends are bored. Stuff like Darasuum's Legion for the game 2moons. (hehehe, the name fit the character i used.)
So new to RP, even better, if you ever need a few pointers, let me know Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 2:15 pm

I like turtlez. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Galenth Dysley wrote:
I like turtlez. What a Face
Shocked Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Jagger Cyde
Jagger Cyde

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Lena Jade wrote:
Back on topic though, here is the extensive list of Pen and Paper I played in the last 17 years.

Vampire the Masquerade
Vampire the Requiem

World of Palladium

Role Master

Gurps

Star Wars d20

D20 Modern
D20 Past
D20 Future
D20 Post Apocalypse

Mechwarrior

The World of MIST
Cyberpunk, Street Wars

You have been RPing since before I was born.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 5:10 pm

Lena Jade wrote:

You bet... my bro and I have PPRPed for several different sagas, games, universes and whatnot. Tho SW is the most dominant.
Back to top Go down
Jagger Cyde
Jagger Cyde

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

You bet... my bro and I have PPRPed for several different sagas, games, universes and whatnot. Tho SW is the most dominant.

Bitch, say it again Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Jagger Cyde wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

Vampire the Masquerade
Vampire the Requiem

World of Palladium

Role Master

Gurps

Star Wars d20

D20 Modern
D20 Past
D20 Future
D20 Post Apocalypse

Mechwarrior

The World of MIST
Cyberpunk, Street Wars

You have been RPing since before I was born.
What can I say, I'm old Razz
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

Which one, d20 or d6?
Back to top Go down
Jagger Cyde
Jagger Cyde

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:18 pm

Lena Jade wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

Which one, d20 or d6?

Uh... What's the difference?
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Jagger Cyde wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

Which one, d20 or d6?

Rules are very different as well as gameplay.
Back to top Go down
Jagger Cyde
Jagger Cyde

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:39 pm

Lena Jade wrote:
Jagger Cyde wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:

Which one, d20 or d6?

Rules are very different as well as gameplay.

Please do explain Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:54 pm

Well, I will try but really briefly since this can be long and I will not write the whole book.

D6 system is the older version, I say it dates a few years back, the game worked using D6 and only D6, if I recall properly, there were 3 statistic for the force, Sense, Control and Alter, each of them had a specific amount of levels within it that can improve with time.

You also had basic statistic which I cant fully recall which one there was and there was some skills. The way it worked, you calculated your power levels, plus the attached statistic, this would grant you a dice pool, lets say you want to do a force lightning, you would calculate your Alter level, lets say its 8, then your connected stats, lets say its 7, add this up, that gives you 15 D6 to roll, from these rolls, you substract failed rolls and keep the successes, then your opponent would need to resist this power, if he rolls higher then you, then he resisted it and absorbed your lightning, if both rolls are equals, then there is a showdown, whomever rolls higher succeeds, if you succeed, then your foe drops to the floor in pain as you make them suffer wiht your force lightning, same kind of rules with lightsabers as well. Although GM would change rules form time to time, this is the way I used to play it.

in D20, first and foremost, the book is more recent and plays pretty much the same way as Dungeon and Dragon does, you use a variety of dices, D4, D6, D8, D10, D12 and D20. All powers and weapons has set amount of damage dices which you roll if you succeed. Same thing for healing items and such. This is a very basic explaination but basically, both books are very different in the way they work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good old Pen and Paper   Good old Pen and Paper Empty

Back to top Go down

Good old Pen and Paper
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next