The Fillorean Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A website for the SWTOR roleplaying guild: The Fillorean Society

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scenario: A world without oil...

Go down 
+5
Scott Chain
Victoria Alenko
Nawkes
TitanT2
Lena Jade
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

Scenario: A world without oil... Empty
PostSubject: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:53 am

Here's the scenario, what if the world is suddenly hit by a shortage of oil, the few countries that still has it have tight control over their rare resources and are selling it at outrageous prices. Exemple: 1299$/Gallon. What do you think would happen?

Edit: I know from experience from the Ice Storms of 98 what it would kind of look like in my area. I've seen the worst of people in that month. Fighting, theft, looting...
Back to top Go down
TitanT2
TitanT2

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:13 am

Complete and utter anarchy and chaos! Countries fighting eachother for the last drups of oil. It will be wonderfull.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:15 am

TitanT2 wrote:
Complete and utter anarchy and chaos! Countries fighting eachother for the last drups of oil. It will be wonderfull.
Titan, have I told you that you scare me sometime Shocked

Seriously though, beside the "wonderful" part, I agree with you.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:22 am

I have an interesting theory, for the last couple of years, there was an Hydrogen car in the making from which would create no pollution whatsoever, what would come out of the car would be water vapor instead of CO2, however, this particular car never went on the market.
I wonder when the day oil runs dry, if this vehicle will mysteriously re-appear in a way that would strongly benefit whomever brings it out?
Back to top Go down
TitanT2
TitanT2

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:28 am

Lena Jade wrote:
TitanT2 wrote:
Titan, have I told you that you scare me sometime Shocked

Seriously though, beside the "wonderful" part, I agree with you.

Well, why i find it wonderfull is because the populus will be decreased heavily. And i find it wonderfull that we will finally see the real face of humanity. I'd love to see that day. See what people will do to survive. See if humanity still deserves to survive. And i don't care if i die during this... Revolution... At least i have seen it. Wonderfull anarchy and chaos.

Lena Jade wrote:
I have an interesting theory, for the last couple of years, there was an Hydrogen car in the making from which would create no pollution whatsoever, what would come out of the car would be water vapor instead of CO2, however, this particular car never went on the market.
I wonder when the day oil runs dry, if this vehicle will mysteriously re-appear in a way that would strongly benefit whomever brings it out?

Well, that car brought a problem. It had a limited range. And the verhicle is active. A lot of busses for example in my country. Drive on hydrogen. But the range is a problem with normal cars.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:36 am

I've seen the chaos it would bring in the ice storm, although the power issue was short term, if it would have lasted for many months, it would have degenerated. Actually, I recall being rather nervous in that time, my father always had a baseball bat at his disposal, in case someone would try to break in. It wasnt complete chaos however, since there was Soldiers and Policemen around the urban area's, but smaller towns and people living in the country side were at risk.
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:36 am

I love Titan so much some times.

War pretty much.
Anarchy sprinkled on.
Scientists racing against the clock.
Scientists most likely being stolen too. (Preemptively control the new fuel source)

And in the chaos, I'll take this chance to blow up Connecticut. (Stupid Connecticut)
And then spend the last days of my life in Maryland before the ICBMs hit.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:38 am

Mon Pandamari wrote:

War pretty much.
Anarchy sprinkled on.
Scientists most likely being stolen too. (Preemptively control the new fuel source)

And in the chaos, I'll take this chance to blow up Connecticut. (Stupid Connecticut)
Seriously though, do you think it would go as far as a full scale nuclear war?
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:41 am

Lena Jade wrote:
Mon Pandamari wrote:

War pretty much.
Anarchy sprinkled on.

You'd be surprised how little it would take before countries start shooting everything they have.
The only places that wouldn't get hit would be places with a lot of oil still left.
But still, the nuclear winter will take care of whoever's left.
Back to top Go down
TitanT2
TitanT2

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:43 am

Mon Pandamari wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Mon Pandamari wrote:

War pretty much.
Anarchy sprinkled on.

You'd be surprised how little it would take before countries start shooting everything they have.
The only places that wouldn't get hit would be places with a lot of oil still left.

^this

Or the people that are left will kill eachother off. Lovely... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:51 am

TitanT2 wrote:
Mon Pandamari wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Mon Pandamari wrote:

War pretty much.
Anarchy sprinkled on.

^this

you still scare me Titan...a feeling that wont easily go away this morning. Razz

Lets not forget the "scorched earth" tactics that would most likely occur. something like Saddam Hussein once did in the gulf war" If I cant have it, then no one can, burn it all"

But the question remain, who would attack who for their beloved resources. I know that Canada would most likely become a battle ground between the US and Russia.
Back to top Go down
TitanT2
TitanT2

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:56 am

Lena Jade wrote:
TitanT2 wrote:
Mon Pandamari wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Mon Pandamari wrote:

War pretty much.
Anarchy sprinkled on.

^this

you still scare me Titan...a feeling that wont easily go away this morning. Razz

Lets not forget the "scorched earth" tactics that would most likely occur. something like Saddam Hussein once did in the gulf war" If I cant have it, then no one can, burn it all"

But the question remain, who would attack who for their beloved resources. I know that Canada would most likely become a battle ground between the US and Russia.

China will first try to secure all oil they can buy. They are doing it right now. Then it will go wrong. And China will invade a country with oil. I can honestly say that this can be Arabia. Then the US will retaliate since they get a lot their oil from that place. Then Russia will try to secure their deposits. And maybe expand while US forces are out to war. So they might invade the US/Canada. Europe will also be attacked, because of the NorthSea gas deposits. And eventually the most desperate country on the losing side will launch all the nukes and kill everyone on the planet. And so we all see the true face of humanity.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 10:05 am

Since Russia is already a leader in the natural gaz domain, it wouldnt surprise me they would invade Canada for its oil sand, the US will most likely war with China as you mentioned but would try to get their hand on its northern neighbour vast oil resources, hence why I believe Canada would become a battleground between those 2. I also believe, if the US cant hold their middle eastern holdings, they may actually try their luck in South america for their oil Resources. As for Europe, I truly dont know where they will strike if they dont attack each other, but I believe they may try their luck against Russia if Russia is busy fighting the US.

China would be a force to be reckoned with if they lead a field army in battle, with the largest army in the world and the largest population, China could be a terrfying force that would be hard to stop. Especially if they are desperate for fuel.
Back to top Go down
Victoria Alenko
Victoria Alenko

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 10:15 am

Well I can say this would be a good time to own some good weapons.
It would be total anarchy once the shit hits the fan.

To put it lightly it would be pretty interesting to see.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 10:30 am

Victoria Alenko wrote:
Well I can say this would be a good time to own some good weapons.
It would be total anarchy once the shit hits the fan.

To put it lightly it would be pretty interesting to see.
What would be interesting to see is, how long it would take before anarchy and paranoia sets in.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 10:34 am

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Shortage in oil.... one more reason people should never listen to media hype.

*laughs the geologist*
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 10:49 am

Scott Chain wrote:
Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Shortage in oil.... one more reason people should never listen to media hype.

*laughs the geologist*
Back on topic mister. Razz Its a scenario that may happen one day but not likely in our lifetime. What do you think will happen?
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:03 am

We'll finally have to break these bad boyz out...

http://www.switched.com/2008/03/24/high-schoolers-create-car-that-gets-1-693-miles-per-gallon/

Not the article that I was looking for, but gets the fact out that they do exist.

Edit: Aw damn... not what I was looking for at all. They're like toy cars... hehe
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:05 am

Scott Chain wrote:

http://www.switched.com/2008/03/24/high-schoolers-create-car-that-gets-1-693-miles-per-gallon/

Not the article that I was looking for, but gets the fact out that they do exist.

Edit: Aw damn... not what I was looking for at all. They're like toy cars... hehe
Thats actually...amazing
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:10 am

Lena Jade wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

Thats actually...amazing

I'm trying to find that article on the vehicle from California (was a prototype that was 'accidentally' leaked) that had around 1000 miles to the gallon. The person that bought it thought there was something wrong and took it back to the dealership to check the gauge out. They flipped out when they found out what had gotten out onto the market and claimed a recall or something. The person was paid off... dirty oil companies is what I call it.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:16 am

Scott Chain wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

Thats actually...amazing

I'm trying to find that article on the vehicle from California (was a prototype that was 'accidentally' leaked) that had around 1000 miles to the gallon. The person that bought it thought there was something wrong and took it back to the dealership to check the gauge out. They flipped out when they found out what had gotten out onto the market and claimed a recall or something. The person was paid off... dirty oil companies is what I call it.
well, oil company as well as pharmaceutical company does not look kindly at things that has a negative impact on their business.

But even if suh a vehicle would become available, would it be out on the world market in time before anarchy sets in?

Also, this means that oil rich country would become extremely wealthy and powerful with such vehicles as they could set the gaz pump price at any price they want.
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod
Ixidor Asgrod

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:25 am

IMO I think some of the people in this thread are underestimating the human ability to survive and adapt (when needed). In the 230+ years the United States has been in existence, we've gone from cannons on ships to nuclear bombs on planes, from lining up and shooting each other in massive numbers to killing people with unmanned vehicles, from taking months to send one letter across the Atlantic to instantly communicating with hundreds if not thousands of people all over the world.

We're pretty good at changing our environment.

So what I would say is that selling about 5 barrels of oil per year for 10,000 bucks each sounds like a likely scenario, but the powers that be would probably adapt and either cars would get another source of fuel (well before oil ran out) or we switch to a different form of transportation and save oil for where it is harder to switch to another form.

Last edited by Ixidor Asgrod on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:26 am

Lena Jade wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

Thats actually...amazing

well, oil company as well as pharmaceutical company does not look kindly at things that has a negative impact on their business.

But even if suh a vehicle would become available, would it be out on the world market in time before anarchy sets in?

Also, this means that oil rich country would become extremely wealthy and powerful with such vehicles as they could set the gaz pump price at any price they want.

TBH... by the time we could ever conceivably run out... I believe we would have been already using alternate fuel sources for a while (efficiently that is). I mean... we are a long, long, long long way from any form of depletion.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:28 am

Scott Chain wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

Thats actually...amazing

TBH... by the time we could ever conceivably run out... I believe we would have been already using alternate fuel sources for a while (efficiently that is). I mean... we are a long, long, long long way from any form of depletion.
True, however the Scenario is about a lack of oil in this very moment, not on the long run.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:29 am

Ixidor Asgrod wrote:
IMO I think some of the people in this thread are underestimating the human ability to survive and adapt (when needed). In the 230+ years the United States has been in existence, we've gone from cannons on ships to nuclear bombs on planes, from lining up and shooting each other in massive numbers to killing people with unmanned vehicles, from taking months to send one letter across the Atlantic to instantly communicating with hundreds if not thousands of people all over the world.

We're pretty good at changing our environment.

So what I would say is that selling about 5 barrels of oil per year for 10,000 bucks each sounds like a likely scenario, but the powers that be would probably adapt and either cars would get another source of fuel (well before oil ran out) or we switch to a different form of transportation and save oil for where it is harder to switch to another form.
Thats what I thought to when the Ice Storm hit in 98, still, there was looting, violence, famine among other things. Some people are able to adapt, but not all of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... Empty

Back to top Go down

Scenario: A world without oil...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next