The Fillorean Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A website for the SWTOR roleplaying guild: The Fillorean Society

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scenario: A world without oil...

Go down 
+5
Scott Chain
Victoria Alenko
Nawkes
TitanT2
Lena Jade
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:31 am

Lena Jade wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:
Lena Jade wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:
We'll finally have to break these bad boyz out...

http://www.switched.com/2008/03/24/high-schoolers-create-car-that-gets-1-693-miles-per-gallon/

Not the article that I was looking for, but gets the fact out that they do exist.

Edit: Aw damn... not what I was looking for at all. They're like toy cars... hehe
Thats actually...amazing

I'm trying to find that article on the vehicle from California (was a prototype that was 'accidentally' leaked) that had around 1000 miles to the gallon. The person that bought it thought there was something wrong and took it back to the dealership to check the gauge out. They flipped out when they found out what had gotten out onto the market and claimed a recall or something. The person was paid off... dirty oil companies is what I call it.
well, oil company as well as pharmaceutical company does not look kindly at things that has a negative impact on their business.

But even if suh a vehicle would become available, would it be out on the world market in time before anarchy sets in?

Also, this means that oil rich country would become extremely wealthy and powerful with such vehicles as they could set the gaz pump price at any price they want.

TBH... by the time we could ever conceivably run out... I believe we would have been already using alternate fuel sources for a while (efficiently that is). I mean... we are a long, long, long long way from any form of depletion.
True, however the Scenario is about a lack of oil in this very moment, not on the long run.

Yeah... sorry... it's just that it encroaches on my knowledge turf. Razz tongue

I agree with Ix tho... I think we underestimate peoples ability to adapt.
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:36 am

Its allright Scott and I partially agree with Ixi as well, as I stated above, some people may adapt others may not. One thing for sure, if the oil would dissapear tomorrow, I believe the world economy would fall in crisis before something can be done to fully replaced this vital resource. While this is happening, the richer folks will be able to get alternatives while poorer folks would be left to rot, which in turn would cause unrest unless the government would help every one from the middle class to lower class of society. Which I doubt it would be willing or able to do in such a grand scale.
Back to top Go down
Ixidor Asgrod
Ixidor Asgrod

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:43 am

Lena Jade wrote:
Thats what I thought to when the Ice Storm hit in 98, still, there was looting, violence, famine among other things. Some people are able to adapt, but not all of them.

If you are talking about this storm, you have a grand total of like 30 out of "millions" that actually died. If you apply this as a statistic to the entire US, about 4,500 people would die out of 300,000,000. That's not an anarchy-inducing-start-world-resource-war kind of statistic.

Lena Jade wrote:
Its allright Scott and I partially agree with Ixi as well, as I stated above, some people may adapt others may not. One thing for sure, if the oil would dissapear tomorrow, I believe the world economy would fall in crisis before something can be done to fully replaced this vital resource. While this is happening, the richer folks will be able to get alternatives while poorer folks would be left to rot, which in turn would cause unrest unless the government would help every one from the middle class to lower class of society. Which I doubt it would be willing or able to do in such a grand scale.

Well yeah, if you have the sudden, abrupt, and inexplicable disappearance of just about any resource we'd be in trouble. But that's not what is going to happen, it'd be a long road and at some point someone would end up finding a solution.

The only reason everything isn't run on solar power is because the formula they use to make the light absorbing cells isn't good enough. With the right amount of need, I think it'd get done.

Last edited by Ixidor Asgrod on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:46 am

Lena Jade wrote:

Well if the economy collapses the rich are no longer rich. Then everything would turn to survival of the fittest/smartest.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:55 am

Don't worry guys, I would give asylum to all of you here in Venezuela.(Not to you Mon)
We have lots of oil left.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:58 am

Malcom Malorne wrote:
Don't worry guys, I would give asylum to all of you here in Venezuela.(Not to you Mon)

The point of the scenario is if oil were depleted everywhere... Wink
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 12:00 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Malcom Malorne wrote:

Then, I'm screwed.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 12:03 pm

Malcom Malorne wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:
Malcom Malorne wrote:

Then, I'm screwed.

Lol... me too... as I'm the geologist that finds the oil. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lena Jade
Lena Jade

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 12:29 pm

@ Ixi, I know, the Ice Storm was not as severe as a shortage of oil event, however, it did show me how far people would go to get what they want. Its not the death toll that matters, its the effect it had on people.

As mentioned before, theft, break and entry into abandoned home for the purpose of looting, some violence, panic, food shortage, communication was down to a minimum and some areas could not be reached for weeks. All this event showed us how vulnerable we really are when you remove something as simple as electricity. No phone, no internet, no TV, no appliances, no heating, no comfort..nothing.

now the Ice Storm was an event that lasted 1 to 3 months, which is not that bad, on a sudden oil shortage, this would be a bit more permanent then a few downed powerlines. Of course there would be alternatives that would be found eventually, but in the meantime between the original crisis and the solution, I believe things would go out of hand, not all at once, but it would be a gradual effect. Smaller communities would try and help each other, while larger cities would degenenate due to the scarcety of the resources and the masses that would require it, most likely rationing would be in order with soldiers or law enforcement trying to keep things calm then, after a few weeks like that and as the resources gets depleted, then chaos will follow.

Lets not forget that some communities and region are powered by petroleum power plant, those communities would lose their power and "Ice Storm" kind of event would follow beside the blocked roads.
Back to top Go down
Vigo Surai
Vigo Surai

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Put simply...It'd be Fallout.

"Resource Wars" Mean anything?

In all honesty...I expect two things to happen. Well, one of two things is more probable.

The world, except for the tip-top of the human food chain, going back into the Dark ages. Literally.

Scientists and major companies rush to make other, non-fossil fuel derived alternatives, and rush to make the change widespread. An example could be a Hydrogen Vehicle. However, currently, the hydrogen fuel for such things are themselves made using fossil fuels. That isn't an absolute, though. Other ways are viable, and could be improved upon once "Black gold" is gone, and we could also minimize the cons of such a hydrogen vehicle. (Namely, the cost of making the fuel cells, their durability, and the whole "Freezing weather = Solid Block of Worthlessness in your car" thing.)
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Fine, I didn't want your Venezuela anyway, Mally.
Back to top Go down
King Clovis
King Clovis

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:47 pm

I'd become some sort of Raider.

But that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Brucil wrote:

But that's just me.
I would make a Thunderdome.
Back to top Go down
King Clovis
King Clovis

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Mon Pandamari wrote:
Brucil wrote:

But that's just me.
I would make a Thunderdome.

And I'd raid it.
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:52 pm

But only one man leaves.
Back to top Go down
King Clovis
King Clovis

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Mon Pandamari wrote:
But only one man leaves.

I'd probably be the one that would leave....
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Brucil wrote:
Mon Pandamari wrote:
But only one man leaves.

No one beats Master Blaster.
Back to top Go down
King Clovis
King Clovis

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:56 pm

Mon Pandamari wrote:
Brucil wrote:
Mon Pandamari wrote:
But only one man leaves.

No one beats Master Blaster.

No.....

I think I could.
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:57 pm

Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 Masterblaster
Back to top Go down
King Clovis
King Clovis

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:08 pm

That's it?

Dude, I raid in this:

Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 Impera10
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 TengenToppaGurrenLagann-1

Err herrm
Back to top Go down
King Clovis
King Clovis

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Mon Pandamari wrote:
Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 TengenToppaGurrenLagann-1

Err herrm

I think I would still win.
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:48 pm

That robot is so big it uses galaxies like ninja stars.
Back to top Go down
King Clovis
King Clovis

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Mon Pandamari wrote:

Obviously you didn't see the gun on that Titan.
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:52 pm

Brucil wrote:
Mon Pandamari wrote:

Obviously you didn't see the gun on that Titan.
Obviously you don't realize how big a galaxy is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scenario: A world without oil...   Scenario: A world without oil... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Scenario: A world without oil...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next