The Fillorean Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A website for the SWTOR roleplaying guild: The Fillorean Society

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What I think of Mortal Online so far...

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

What I think of Mortal Online so far... Empty
PostSubject: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm

So, I have been playing around with Mortal Online and it's various mechanics. I must admit, the game is quite enjoyable, however, the massive learning curve is not for the feint of heart.

One of the major issues I have seen thus far in Mortal are the people whom are lawless players. They will kill you no matter what. You can beg, you can attempt to pay them off, however, in thee end your still gonna end up fodder on the roadside, stripped of all your resoruces and equipment that aren't either equiped or deposited in one of the numerous banking clans. People in Mortal Online try to stay as close as possiable to towns with guards, be it player made or implemented by the developers in an attempt to protect their goods. However, at night, when the lawless come out of their cave hideouts and hidden compounds (yes, player made) even the cities may not be safe in nature. To travel from city to city safely, most join a caravan. More people = less chance you will be attacked by those whom are lawless.

The world of Mortal Online is MASSIVE and when I say massive I mean it (largest MMO I have seen thus far). You could constantly run off in a certain direction for hours upon hours UPON HOURS never reaching the edge of the game world. The graphics are amazing and awe inspiring for an MMO in the sandbox format. However, there is a flaw. The world is so massive that it's rare to come across other players, however, towns and cities are quite populated and alive with people. I would also contribute the fact that lawless clans and organizations make their homes in various caves and hidden bases they build all around the world as another leading factor, people tend to want to hide from them and keep as safe as possiable.

However, this factor is countered by just how free form the game is. The developers expect players to build the goverment of the game and elect leaders to different regions. You can build cities and towns ANYWHERE, inside caves and such included (the lawless love this feature to death). It's alot like real life society believe it or not, or what society was like back during medieval times with a fantasy twist. Did I mention FULL nudity? Not just topless nudity like Age of Conan had, FULL NUDITY and all parts, both male and female, included on the various models. The realism the game posseses is astounding in all aspects, it would take me hours to list and explain them all.

Overall, I give Mortal Online a 3.6 to a 3.8 out of 5 thus far. It needs some polishing before release, the desync issue can make one pull their hair out at times. However, Epic Game's has assured players they are working on this issue and shall not release the game before it's fixed completely. The learning curve is not for all, especially those whom are more familar with World of Warcraft and Aion systems over Star Wars Galaxies and EVE's, however once you master it everything falls into place nicely. However, my biggest issue with the game are the criminal syndicates and clans, they are annoying, very much so. You will wonder how people can be such assholes, and it may make you dislike the human race in general. These syndicates run the game and are thee unofficial goverment due to no one desires to take a stand against them.

However, I cannot really judge the game accurately since it's still in the beta stages and a big update is about to come along sometime soon. I will have to see at release if I desire to invest anytime or resources into this game. With the backing of a triple AAA company like Epic though, and the Unreal Engine put in place I forsee Mortal Online being a viable option in the MMO market, however, polish is needed before a release date is even thought upon.
Back to top Go down
Sergei Meranov
Admin
Admin
Sergei Meranov

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 1:13 pm

You're going to need to teach me the ropes. I made a character and got killed by a pig. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://filloreansociety.forumotion.com
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 1:18 pm

Sergei Meranov wrote:
You're going to need to teach me the ropes. I made a character and got killed by a pig. Very Happy

Indeed, it's quite a confusing game and at first everything kills you. People mostly harvest resources and build a bow and other various equipment because that levels up stats and the works as well. Then they go around hunting and killing things. Of course, I am terrified to even step outside and harvest better resources outside of cities and towns for the threat of being mauled and owned by 3-4 bandits. If you press "H" it has alot of FAQ's and other resources to help begin the game. Thats what I used, and it helped ALOT.

Last edited by Barthandelus Rosch on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 1:20 pm

This sounds more realistic, and fun, than most games I here about. I might acctualy have to try this at some point. But till then... I'll just listen to what you guys think. Razz
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 1:30 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
This sounds more realistic, and fun, than most games I here about. I might acctualy have to try this at some point. But till then... I'll just listen to what you guys think. Razz

The game makes you cringe at points on how realistic it can be. I got trampled by a horse, knocked down by it and began to bleed out due to broken limb, then killed by the guy riding the horse, whom laughed at me, looted my corpse then ran back into the mountains. This was a 5-10 second period of time...

The lawless are asshats and dreaded when you see one coming from the horizon. However, this is but a minor gripe with the game, overall I enjoy it alot. People just need to stop being cowards and take the fight to their bases they have around the world. However, gods know where they may be located. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Barthandelus Rosch wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

The game makes you cringe at points on how realistic it can be. I got trampled by a horse, knocked down by it and began to bleed out due to broken limb, then killed by the guy riding the horse, whom laughed at me, looted my corpse then ran back into the mountains. This was a 5-10 second period of time...

The lawless are asshats and dreaded when you see one coming from the horizon. However, this is but a minor gripe with the game, overall I enjoy it alot. People just need to stop being cowards and take the fight to their bases they have around the world. However, gods know where they may be located. Neutral

Well it puts things into better perspective on how immersed you can get. You just need to beef up, somehow. What is the progression of the game like?
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

Well it puts things into better perspective on how immersed you can get. You just need to beef up, somehow. What is the progression of the game like?

There are no levels, therefore you be what you desire. Crafter, politcian, fighter the works. It's sort of like how The Elder Scrolls does progression, though, without the levels. Heck, you can even study plants or be a breeder of horses.

It has an amazing amount of depth and character immersion, one of the main reasons I enjoy it so much.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

There are no levels, therefore you be what you desire. Crafter, politcian, fighter the works. It's sort of like how The Elder Scrolls does progression, though, without the levels. Heck, you can even study plants or be a breeder of horses.

It has an amazing amount of depth and character immersion, one of the main reasons I enjoy it so much.

Elder Scrolls still has levels, but I think I know what you mean. You points added to your attributes over time after perfoming specific tasks.

*sigh*

I can't wait to get back to the states... >.<
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

Elder Scrolls still has levels, but I think I know what you mean. You points added to your attributes over time after perfoming specific tasks.

*sigh*

I can't wait to get back to the states... >.<

Basically, take Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, amplify character customization and attributes by ten, then take the size of Morrowind and multiply that by about 300 and add online play, you got Mortal Online.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 2:08 pm

Makes me miss the game... that and Oblivion.
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 2:14 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Makes me miss the game... that and Oblivion.

I personally prefer Morrowind and Daggerfall over Oblivion. Oblivion seemed way to small to me for an Elder Scrolls game. Even with various add ons and expansions. First time I played Morrowind, I got lost...quite bad, took me about 1 hour and 30 mintues to get back on track.

Also, I was afarid to explore in Morrowind and Daggerfall because the game was much harder then oblivion. Getting one shot by poison was so much fun...
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 2:20 pm

I liked both games about the same. Tho Morrowind is a lot larger, you can get it in oblivion graphics for Oblivion on PC.
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 2:23 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
I liked both games about the same. Tho Morrowind is a lot larger, you can get it in oblivion graphics for Oblivion on PC.

Indeed, Bethesda puts out some great games. Though glitchey, and with voice actors that make you wanna track them down and throw them off a mountain.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Scott Chain wrote:

Indeed, Bethesda puts out some great games. Though glitchey, and with voice actors that make you wanna track them down and throw them off a mountain.

??? I liked Patrick Stewart playing the Emporer... Neutral
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 4:24 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

That was an exception due to he is actually good and an actor. Compare that to EVERYONE else in Oblivion and various other Bethesda games. They stink quite bad, in my honest opinion. Yes, their profession is being a VA, however, that does not make them good at it. Razz

BioWare currently has the best voice acting crew, or at least, I think this.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Scott Chain wrote:

That was an exception due to he is actually good and an actor. Compare that to EVERYONE else in Oblivion and various other Bethesda games. They stink quite bad, in my honest opinion. Yes, their profession is being a VA, however, that does not make them good at it. Razz

Now that you mention it the elves always sound a bit whiny... neh it's like they only have 5 voice actors too. They don't have much diversity. That's one of the things I'm looking foward to in TOR.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:14 pm

Vigo Surai wrote:
I hope the game lasts then. It definitely sounds like a good game I could get into. Of course, my first priorities are still getting income and a new computer.

Of course, I'd probably end up joining the lawless ones if I get bored.

I'd beef up and wander the roads... then I'd wait for someone to try and raid me and I'd pwn and loot them.... then halo crouch repeatedly on their corpse. Wink
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Vigo Surai wrote:
I hope the game lasts then. It definitely sounds like a good game I could get into. Of course, my first priorities are still getting income and a new computer.

Of course, I'd probably end up joining the lawless ones if I get bored.

I'd beef up and wander the roads... then I'd wait for someone to try and raid me and I'd pwn and loot them.... then halo crouch repeatedly on their corpse. Wink

They travel in horse mounted gank squads of 3-4, it's damn near impossiable to win against them. Lawless crime syndicates and those whom follow them are really cowards for they hide behind #'s to win. Also, they feel powerful because no one stands up against them, everyone just flees when they see them arrive and cower in buildings.

Last edited by Barthandelus Rosch on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Vigo Surai wrote:
It sounds exciting, I must give this game that acknowledgment. I'd probably hate being killed by roving death squads, but in the long run, I'd enjoy it greatly for not being monotonous.

I hope BoB doesn't look into this game. I can only imagine the Brothers becoming one of the largest lawless organizations.

I'm terrified when I see 3-4 people charge over hills on their extremely well bred and trained mounts. I just flee to the cities seeing as I am making a scout/map maker/pathfinder type character. I am really no match against them for all I have is a bow and shortsword.

I could most likely take down 1-2 before dying, but losing equipment when you die makes me flee instead.
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Vigo Surai wrote:
I'll imagine I'd be making a fairly stereotypical fighter type. Heavy armor, big sword. MAYBE a bow, if I'd be able to be at least fairly proficient at it.

Indeed. Your type is needed to escourt people across the world. Lawless people hate big armor dudes, they mostly use light armor and bows + gurellia warfare, hit and run, you know, that sort of dirty combat. They also destroy bridges cutting off routes to safe passage and making people fall into the water, inturn draining their stamina and making them sitting ducks to volleys.

Or, they can blow up bridges that are high up making people fall to their death. Whatever tickles their fancy that moment in time.
Back to top Go down
Scott Chain
Scott Chain

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:58 pm

Someday if we decide to do this as a guild game, or something, it would be fun to team up on some of the lawless.
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 7:00 pm

Scott Chain wrote:
Someday if we decide to do this as a guild game, or something, it would be fun to team up on some of the lawless.

Someone needs to take a stand against them. Once people start to stand up against them and destroy their hideouts the game won't be nearly as deadly or scary. It's just, everyone is a coward right now because somehow Lawless supply themselves with astounding equipment.

Though, building cities and your own forges could help, and seeing as no one knows where their main base of operations is we will continue to be destroyed and picked on like vermin.
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 7:12 pm

Vigo Surai wrote:
They probably are situated far from any city, although I can't dismiss the possibility that I can imagine people supplying the lawless for some good money. Or perhaps alts.

I dunno though.

Indeed. Due to the fact you can build towns and cities in caves I would imagen they have their base at some mountain range deep inside it. Like the Mines of Moria out of Lord of The Rings. The cities aren't really safe either, people make guttersnipe type classes. When your in alleys alone you may be killed by them and looted, or they may steal from you in broad day light and run away since you can pick pocket.

Night time is ten times more deadly then day, alot of crap goes down then, alot... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Nawkes
Nawkes

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 8:13 pm

I just had a nerdgasm.
I usually the Lawless Murderer type guy.
But I have to say, i would be fun fighting the Lawless.
I'll probably make a Paladin, Shadow knight or Spell Knight type character.
Magic, big Armor and Swords.
But yeah, we need to take the fight to the lawless.
I'm giddy.
Back to top Go down
The Laughing Man
The Laughing Man

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 8:17 pm

Mon Pandamari wrote:
I just had a nerdgasm.
I usually the Lawless Murderer type guy.
But I have to say, i would be fun fighting the Lawless.
I'll probably make a Paladin, Shadow knight or Spell Knight type character.
Magic, big Armor and Swords.
But yeah, we need to take the fight to the lawless.
I'm giddy.

I don't see how you join the lawless, you can't find their outposts and they kill you on sight so you don't even get a chance to reason with them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I think of Mortal Online so far...   What I think of Mortal Online so far... Empty

Back to top Go down

What I think of Mortal Online so far...
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next